What Am I Reading

All about those comics rn



It's been a while since I've written about what I'm reading and lately it seems to be about 5 different things at once.

Current trend: Comics and Graphic Novels.

Just finished issue #1 of Nnedi Okorafor's new GN LaGuardia.  Anyone who knows me knows that if I am handing out book recommendations I will be mentioning her for her amazing writing of sci fi and fantasy.  This GN is about the future after aliens appear on earth (so after her novel Lagoon takes place but it stands on its own if you haven't read the novel).  Basically, a mirror of physical aliens to the current day issues surrounding "illegal" aliens.  The first volume just dropped TODAY in trade paper so do yourself a favor and get thee to a comic book shop (or if you must, Amazon).

I am about 2/3 done with the standalone Feathers by Jorge Corona.  I grabbed it at ALA because there was a blurb from Skottie Young on the cover and the hubs is a big Skottie/I Hate Fairyland fan.  He enjoyed it, and I am enjoying it too.  If you are a fan of new twists on fairy tales, this one is good.  Great for all ages (so far!  I know there are some not good things coming but I don't know how "not good" yet!)  I Hate Fairyland puts twists on every single fairytale trope you can imagine and then... dumps a bucket of blood and violence on it.  Anyway...

Next up will be Hotcomb by Ebony Flowers which I am so excited to read. It came out last month and I'm psyched.

Current Book Club Read:  Palaces for the People by Eric Klinenberg.  Read it a month early since I was going to hear Klinenberg speak at ALA. It's great.  All about social infrastructure and what that means in our communities and why we need to talk about it.  Not something I would ever pick up on my own (even thought it *does* talk a lot about libraries) but it was a really good read.

Current Audiobook: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.  I'm super late to the party on this one but am enjoying the twisty mystery.

Current Novel:  Just started an advanced copy of Exile From Eden by Andrew Smith.  This was my #1 most exciting snag from the ALA conference.  It's the sequel to Grasshopper Jungle which is one of my all time favorite YA novels.  It focuses on Austin's son 16 years after the events of the first book and it is just as amazing as the first book. Only about 40 pages in.

Happy Reading!


Comments