How a Styling Service Changed My Life


I'm not an influencer.  Hell, I'm not even a blogger (my last post was more than a year ago!). But I *am* a consumer. Mainly of streaming TV shows and coffee. But this spring I have found myself wanting more. Namely, a more fitting wardrobe. I've been a Stay At Home Mom for almost  year and a half now and while my body has gone through many changes in that time (breastfeeding, working out five days a week for the first time in my life, ending the breastfeeding journey, eating way too much during the holidays) I haven't felt "at home" in my clothes at all lately. Do I have plenty of activewear leggings and t-shirts to wear to pre-K drop off? Uh, does a Mom need more sleep??? But everything from my jeans to sundresses either doesn't fit the way I'd like or is hastily purchased on a single afternoon shopping excursion to an outlet mall (with kids in tow, natch).  I need something new. Something that doesn't make me feel like a frumpy SAHM.

I've done the boxed styling services before.  I've had mixed results with Stitch Fix.  It's usually feast or famine with what they send me and I find that if I even moderately like two or three of the items I buy the whole damn Fix just to save the 25%.  This spring I tried the styling service through Fab Fit Fun.  Set up almost identically to Stitch Fix except they ask you less than half the questions in their style assessment and there's no place for you to really tell them what you are looking for. I hated everything in the box but a pair of ponte leggings that resembled a pair I have in a larger size that doesn't fit me currently.  So I now have yet another pair of black pants.  Did I mention that it's finally summer?  Exciting stuff.

I even thought about the style rental services.  Not willing to commit to Rent the Runway on a SAHM (read: no) salary, I thought I'd try Le Tote.  Seemed interesting.  They will come up with pieces for you but you're more than welcome to browse their site and swap in pieces you'd rather have.  You are also able to purchase items you really love via their website. This turned out AWFUL for me.  I signed up to do 2 Totes a month at $80/month.  In my first Tote I could wear... a pair of earrings and a necklace.  There is no option for swapping a different size. Clearly my measurements were WAY off from the brands they carry. For me, it was a waste of money since I couldn't wear any of the pieces I received and it was making me feel super insecure about myself. I don't have time for that sh*t.

I kept researching.  What else was out there?  I didn't want to go with some of the cheaper box options out there because I had a feeling I would really not like what I was getting and would be taking more time and money to send things back over and over again.  I clearly wasn't cut out for the high end sites like M.M. LaFleur. Then I found an article for a review of the styling site Allume from the style editor at Self Magazine from December of 2017.  I hadn't heard about the site but once I read her review (and the fact that they truly cater to all body types) I was excited to sign up and give it a try.



Here's what happened:

Like many styling sites, you pay a $20 styling fee on Allume.  If you decide to purchase any items from them the $20 comes off of your total.  You fill out a very detailed style assessment similar to those on Stitch Fix with one big exception: each section of the assessment gives a blank comment box.  I could actually give details on what my issues or dislikes were about either my body or certain kinds of clothing.  It wasn't left to a 200 word limit general note at the end of your assessment.  The idea is that a stylist will read all of your details and put together three complete looks for you.

And then things got awesome:  You sign up to actually *talk* to a stylist.  Via text message.  Where you can say as much or as little as you like.  Where you can send links in real time and even upload photos.  The stylist would send you a link to the looks she curated and then you would talk about them.  She would take notes and then adjust your looks accordingly.  If you wished, you could then order the items you liked through their website. I signed up and my session with a stylist was scheduled for less than five days later.

As 10 AM on a Sunday approached, I was beyond excited.  What kinds of things would she pick for me?  Would I hate everything?  Would I suddenly feel like I had to drop $500 I didn't have on a bunch of new things??? When Dee texted me the link to my Looks, I was making coffee.  I opened the link and scrolled through all kinds of items while pouring a cup for DJ and myself.  Then I continued to scroll and text while chasing down a climbing toddler.  I don't know what I can say about this experience other than the fact that it was transformative.

One of my Looks post adjustments by Dee.

She got my style for florals and wedge sandals, but every purse she had paired with the outfits was a super hard NO for me.

"Why?" She asked.  "What is it that doesn't work for you?"

I was then able to explain my super picky tendencies when it came to bags and purses.  Also: every one of the bags she picked had a small set of handles on top.  I am a long handle/crossbody strap gal through and through.

"How did you like that sweater I chose to go with the workwear Look?"

"Eh..."

"So a no then.  Ok.  Is it because it's a drape/slight ruffle front?"

"I don't know. I don't think it's because it's a drape front... I have several of that style that I wear."  I replied.  "Oh wait!  Is it more like a jacket?  Is it made out of faux suede?  Faux suede and leather is not for me when it comes to clothing." Yup.  Faux leather indeed.

Being able to talk about my dislikes (and likes) in real time made all the difference here.  She was taking notes (I don't like the giant ruffles on sleeves that's in right now.  I don't do 3/4 length tops. I *do* love things with lots of colors and floral patterns) and telling me she'd find other items that were similar but without the elements I didn't like.

Here is another interesting thing about Allume: pricing.  Like most online styling services, you give them a range of prices where you'd like to stay.  But the things Dee found for me?  So many of them were SUPER deals from places like Neiman Marcus Last Call, Modcloth, Saks Off 5th.  There were even a bunch of awesome finds from H&M that, were I to see them on the rack while shopping, I would have totally passed over.  Being able to see them together in a full Look made them work for me.

She made a bunch of edits to the Looks and sent me a new link before 5 PM my time.  I ended up buying 5 pieces through their website and spending just under $170 with my refunded styling fee taken off the total.

Here is the one piece of good/bad that I will have to evaluate after the items arrive at my house:
as I mentioned earlier, stylists assemble a Look full of pieces from stores all over the internet.  The convenient and inconvenient thing about this is that when you checkout, you are "buying" them through Allume who then places the orders with those specific sites for you.  You then get an email from Nordstrom Rack or wherever with your order confirmation and then another shipping confirmation just like you would if you were ordering from those sites directly.  The issue will be if I end up needing to return things.  It's way easier to pop everything into the postage provided bag that comes with a Stitch Fix order if I need to return everything or have something exchanged for a different size.  With Allume this could potentially be complicated if you order from a lot of stores at one time.  I played it safe this time and only ordered items from two places so returns should be no more complicated than if I were shopping on my own.

I'm so excited to receive this batch of clothing in the mail.  To be honest, this service would be well worth the $20 even if it wasn't refunded with a purchase. Fingers crossed that everything fits and looks as awesome as I hope it will!  I will post again when the items show up so you can see what I got :)

I've decided that life is too short- to be angry all the time or sad all the time or feeling like crap health wise.  And today it's too short to wear clothes that I don't love.




PS- As much as I was NOT THRILLED with my Le Tote experience I cannot get over this necklace! Now is it worth $50 on top of my fee I paid this month? Eh...

I am loving anything made out of resin/acrylic this spring and summer!

Super awkward photo


Comments

Post a Comment