Month One of Underemployment Complete

Well.  It's been a month.  I haven't exactly been sitting on the couch for the last month.  What with buying a new house and moving to a new state.  But I have gotten to the point where I miss working.  A lot.  There's still plenty to clean and organize here, but I find myself asking"What's the point?"  If I don't get a job for the next 1,3 or 12 months those things will still be there.  If I do All Of The Things this week, what in god's name do I have waiting for me next week?  And on it goes.

So today is a day for comfort food.  Here are easy recipes for two of my favorites.  The main dish I "invented" back when DJ and I bought our first house.  The dessert I have been making since I was a kid.

Confetti Casserole



1/2 C uncooked Minute rice
1/2-3/4 lb ground beef
1 can of Cream of Whatever You'd Like soup (or use this great recipe from Once A Month Mom found here)
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped broccoli
1/2 C chopped red pepper
1/4 C shredded cheese of your choice + extra to sprinkle on top
salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the Minute rice according to the instructions on the package.  Set aside.
Brown the beef. Drain and set aside.
Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray and mix in the all of the ingredients.  Sprinkle the extra cheese and place in oven.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees ad enjoy!

Notes: I am lazy and use frozen chopped broccoli.  And I never use all of an onion in any recipe so I have lots chopped onion in my freezer.  And red pepper.  If I use frozen ingredients, I nuke them in the microwave for a minute and a half.  I use a 2 quart casserole dish to bake everything in and it is very tasty and warm on a cool or rainy day.  It should feed 4.  Add more meat and veggies if you'd like to feed more folks.  And do yourself a favor, leave this uncovered while you cook it (unlike I did this time around).  The cheese should be more browned and less melty.




Easy-Peasy Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 Stick of margarine
1 C graham cracker crumbs
1/2 C powder sugar
1/4 C peanut Butter
Chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a saucepan, melt margarine. Add the peanut butter and stir until dissolved.  Add powdered sugar and graham crackers.  Mix well.  Add this mixture to a foil-lined 9X9 pan.  Sprinkle well with chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 for five minutes until the chocolate chips are melted.  Spread the chocolate chips with a knife and place pan in the freezer to harden.  Cut into bars when the mixture has frozen.

Notes:  This is easy to make into "peanut butter cups" instead. Super easy and sooooo tasty!

And here is a photo of the original recipe card that I wrote out (in purple pen) in the third grade.  Note that spelling has been an issue my entire life:




Comments

  1. It was all super delicious. And how cute is that recipe. :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment