The Underemployed Librarian Book Review Guide

Why not do some book reviews on this blog?  I write them for work, why not do some for fun?  Here are just a few of the sections you can look forward to in any upcoming reviews:

  • Book Type: Novel, literary fiction, non-fiction, audiobook, YA novel, graphic novel etc.
  • Predictability Factor/ Stereotype Alert: If I found any really obvious plot points or if there were lame stereotypes I will save you the hassle and list them thus making it easier for you to determine if you actually want to read this book.
  • Cover Blurb/Cover Art: What does the cover say???
  • Bed/Bride/Bludgeon: a twist on the classic game of "Marry, Kill, Screw" I will chose one character from the book that I would bed, one that I would marry and one that I would kill.  There are always exceptions to this rule.  There are just some books where this game isn't any fun.  Example: books where someone is dying of cancer.  Please note: I read a lot of YA novels. I am considering all characters from these novels from the view of my teen self.  Nothing creepy or illegal going on here. Hm.  I guess that's what they always tell Chris Hansen before they make a run for the exit... Whatever.
  • Character Score: Anyone who knows me knows that books that really resonate and stay with me a long time have wonderful characters and character development.  It isn't essential in every book, but it usually helps.  Rated on a scale of 0 to 10 Mr. Micawbers (who, in my opinion, is one of the greatest characters in all of literature).
  • What's the Story?: What is this book about...
  • X-Factor: super cool bonus factors that make a book worth reading (not related to the TV show).
So you see, there will be a bit of a quirk factor with these book reviews.  I hope you enjoy them all the same.

Comments